November 28, 2016 – History repeating itself

November 28, 2016
Been a busy week. Thanksgiving was great at our daughter’s house. She is vegetarian but cooks a mean Thanksgiving Dinner. It was a good day even though it was threatening to snow. Had a very interesting discussion with son in laws father about the election, about employment issues in America etc. I thought he was going to take a very conservative view but it turned out we were on the same page. Jobs are not coming back because of technology replacing humans in factories. So, if a company were to return to the US there would be few jobs coming with it. He works in the energy industry and I learned a lot from our discussion. Things like the way they now do coal mining without miners. Some fantastic machine that does the work of 10 men.

The next day we took off for DC to have an early 5th birthday with the younger granddaughter. It has been a great weekend. Saturday, we went to the Baltimore Fire Museum for a visit to Santa. While there my brother, his daughter and family came along to meet up and we all went out to lunch. Only problem was they put us in two booths and the little kids were in one with one adult. I did have a good conversation with nephew in law. He is a very interesting person and I don’t think until recently that we ever had a good conversation. Would love to see them more often.

Back at our son’s house we gave the little one her birthday presents. The big gift was a stuffed calf. She has been asking for a real one for a pet and I thought this might appease her for a while. She seems to really like it and has been sleeping with it every night and playing with it all day. I love finding a gift that is a hit.

Sunday the kids had a birthday party to attend so hubby and I went down to the National Art Gallery. It was great. I got to see both buildings. The modern art really threw me. I don’t like most modern art. But the impressionists were fabulous, they had a Magritte there that I really liked. He is one of my favorite artists. The Hudson River School artists were also so great to see. They have one Leonardo da Vinci there that is beautiful. So many people missed that it was a two-sided item. We took the metro both ways and walked to the station. I was very sore when we got back due to my recent total lack of exercise.

We took the crew out to dinner at Brookland Pint. It was delicious and the kids are so great to go out to eat with. They are very well behaved for 5 and 7.
Today everyone was back to work and school so after dropping the kids at school we went down to the Museum of Native American History. It was depressing to say the least. Reading of their history and how well their communities ran and then the white men arrived and decided to make North American a white, Christian country. We decimated their populations and ran them off their lands. If they refused, we killed them. Then to top off the day there was this movie about the Hawaiian people. It was just so sad how we took their lands and just told them tough luck folks. But then I realized nothing really has changed in this country. What is happening in North Dakota and the response from DC is to ignore it all. Or at least so far. When they were hosing people down in sub-zero weather and no one in power stood up I knew this situation was not good. The people I would have put my faith in like the President have failed me on this one. And after heading some of the history today I realized just how hopeless the situation is for our first nations peoples. I wish I had a magic wand and could make some changes in the hearts of Americans.

Am very tired to night and it is a long drive tomorrow. But has been a very good weekend.

May 1917 – Charles O’Connor Diary

May 1 – Cold stormy day snowed some and rained most of the day. J Bevins here this eve.
May 2 – I went to the Bay to J G Chapmans funeral. I had a talk with H Willis re line fence. This was a cold blustery day snowed a little all day. A Slack and Myers called on their way home from Wilfred Yates wedding. The roads are very bad today.
May 3 – Marshall and I went over to build the line fence on the Shook place. But did not do anything at it as Marshall made the following agreement with Jim Burns. Marshall is to give Jim a rent of so much. (I do not know the amt.) for this season and Jim and I are to get the lines run before another season so we can put up the line fence and each of us is to bear half the cost of the surveyor. Fergus sent out his mare and colt. Gordy Leadbeter put 5 head of cattle in the pasture. I got up a load of stove wood.
May 4 – Marshall and I fixed fence most of the day. Some warmer today. Marshall started the team on the land. McClean drove them.
May 5 – I worked around the place all day. I put out some manure. Marshall took two calves to the station. He got me a small bag of salt.
May 6 – At home all day. Nane Donnelly and wife came here at noon and spent the afternoon.
May 7 – This is a fine day. I worked around the place and put in some garden stuff. I planted a few hills of potatoes.
May 8 – I put the mare and colt across the creek and they came back.
May 9 – I went to Seeleys Bay had my dinner at Donnelly’s came home afternoon. I got some grass seed for Marshall.
May 10 –I worked around the place most of the day. I put the mare and colt over in the pasture.
May 11 – Wet day nothing doing. Marshall and I went up to Frank Tye’s. Then went back to the pasture to look about the cattle. Sall Haskins put his yearling in for the season.
May 12 – I worked around the place forenoon and went to Lyndhurst afternoon. P Flood was here today for dinner. Cold day.
May 13 – Madeline and I went to Lansdowne to Mass got here at 1:30 the roads was very bad fine day but windy.
May 14 – Cut wood in the door yard most of the day. This was a cold day.
May 15 – Worked around the place I went over to see the colts and cattle. P Flood here for dinner. Marshall went for hay this eve.
May 16 – Cold day there was quite a snow storm and a little rain.
May 17 – Marshall and I went to Lansdowne to mass as this is a holyday did not get home until 2 oclock fine day some warmer.
May 18 – Worked around the place most of the day. Fixed the line fence. There was two loads of cheese shipped from the factory today. I got 36 lbs curd from Johnson.
May 19 – Worked at line fence until 2 oclock then Madeline went to Lyndhurst. Marshall worked all day at the fence. Thunder storm this eve.
May 20 – There was a good rain last night but this is a fine moring. Marshall and I went over to see the cattle in the pasture.
May 21 – Marshall and I worked around the place all day. Fixed some fences. Daisy had a cold this eve.
May 22 – Wet morning and most of the day we took the Jersey cow down to J Bevins.
May 23 – I went across the creek C Riley put a colt in the pasture yesterday. The Red Heffer came in last night. Marshall and I fixed fences most of the day.
May 24 – I intended to go to Gananoque today but the roads are very bad and its rainy some so we did not go.
May 25 – We worked at the fence most of the day. The old mare had a colt this eve a great big Sorral mare.
May 26 – We finished up the fence forenoon and went up to Joe Tyes for a bull. I went to Lyndhurst got some things paid for all I got.
May 27 – Madeline and I went to Lansdowne to mass. Fergus and family was here when we got home. A Slack, wife and Cora, Bridget Flood and Percy came afternoon was here until six oclock. Fergus started for home at five oclock. Madeline went home with them.
May 28 – I went to see the colts and cattle forenoon and went to Gananoque afternoon I got there at 8 oclock. Madeline and I spent the eve at J McArdles.
May 29 – Wet morning G Hill started work at the house. We started for home after dinner got home at four.
May 30 – Worked around the place all day. Helped to fix up planting ground.
May 31 – Worked at the planting ground and planted some potatoes. This is a very fine day. there was an earthquake this morning.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s